Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Thoughts On the End of Summer + Other Stuff

Can it already be the end of summer?! I feel like it just began. Or I feel like we didn't get everything done that I had planned to do this season. Yeah, its probably that. Do you ever feel that way? That the season isn't allowed to end until you accomplish everything you had set out to do? Maybe I should throw a big end-of-the-summer party and be ok with everything we did do. Although really you can't even tell that we're about to hit fall in about a month with the weather still being in the 90s and humid here in Florida. So I still have time for at least one beach trip (I know! We live 2 hours from the Gulf and we almost never make it to the beach!) and we have an outing planned to the zoo next week for Andrew's birthday. Mostly we've been hanging out at home splashing around in the kiddie pool, running through the neighbor's sprinkler, digging in the sandbox, chasing each other with bikes and cars in the driveway, playing in the rain and going for the occasional walk early in the morning before it gets too hot out. And I'm mostly ok with that. I do need the occasional outing for my own sanity though. Being a mom 24/7 can become pretty exhausting. But that's another post in itself.

Also, school started yesterday for most counties here. This makes me realize how close Lily is to school age. Which actually isn't something I worry about too much since we are planning on homeschooling her anyway. For how long, I don't know. But its important to us that she stay home with us for a few years while she's still forming her character and ideology. I'd rather her learn attitudes, behaviors, ethics etc. from us, her parents, before going out into the world and all its provocative enticements. Not that I'm trying to shelter her from society because God knows, our neighbors, sweet as they are, are a bit potty mouthed and have rougher mannerisms than Lily is used to and I think its great that she's able to play with their son and spend time over at their house. She's learning how to deal with different parenting styles than those that she's used to for one. I just think that the education system has lost sight of what their "job" is. Preschool is now looked upon as serious preparation for kindergarten when it used to be a fun place to go to play with friends and maybe learn your ABCs. Don't even get me started on standardized testing and the lack of child centered learning. I want my children to be able to explore nature, learn to cook and sew and create masterpieces, things that more often than not can't happen with children's busy school lives and then homework in the evening before bed. And I realize that its the system and not the teachers' faults. I have the utmost respect for teachers. They work their butts off! So, sure I wonder sometimes about my children's socialization and how they'll learn respect for others in authority without a formal schooling environment, but we have many close friends with children and a great (large) church family that go a long way towards providing those skills.

In all honesty, I'm not worried at all.

Did this just get deep or what?

This article sums it up very well.

 photo DSC04624_zps87fbc18b.jpg

0 comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...