Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Friday, December 14, 2012

When She Needs Me

Photobucket

We've been experiencing some strange weather recently. Warm humid days punctuated by the occasional stormy night. We had one such night the other night. The rain started pouring...and I mean pouring...down just as I was going to bed about 11 pm. The thunder kept me tossing and turning in bed until I heard a small, anxious "Mommy!" come from down the hall. I hurried to Lily's room where she was sitting in the middle of her crib with a wide eyed look.

You try to protect your children from all of the scary things in life, but sometimes there's a unexpected thunderclap practically right outside your bedroom window and the only cure is moving into Daddy and Mommy's room for the rest of the night. So that's just what we did. I grabbed her mattress, Sophie the Giraffe, Blanket and Green Blanket and set her up on our floor.

I have to say that I was actually pretty happy with the situation. Lily's always been a fairly independent child (plus she's two now and can do "everything myself") and doesn't really need me that much. So when something happens and only Mommy can make things better, I jump at the chance to help her . She asked me to cuddle in bed with her for a bit. That only lasted about 2 minutes since there wasn't any room on the small mattress for the two of us plus assorted animals and blankets. So I moved to my bed and dangled my arm over the side instead so I could occasionally stroke her cheek. We just laid there looking at each other, her with her blankets tucked up to her chin and me hanging on to the moment for as long as possible.

I drifted off to sleep listening to the soft breathing of my two children, my youngest snoring softly in bed next to me and my oldest squirming around trying to position herself comfortably for the night.

These are the joys of motherhood.

0 comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...