Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Monday, October 22, 2012

A Day in the Life

Andrew said something late last week that got me thinking. I can't remember exactly what it was but my reaction was to think "I'm going to write down everything that I do tomorrow so he can see just what my day is like," so I know it must have been a disparaging remark about what exactly a stay-at-home-mom does or something like that.

Note: He is very supportive of stay-at-home-moms, I think he was just having a bad day or something. :) Or maybe we were having an argument discussion. Yeah, I think that was it.

So that's what this post is; a play by play of everything I did last Friday. And let me tell you, it is not easy keeping track and typing out every little thing you do throughout the day. But it does give you some insight into how you're planning your day and let's just say Friday was not a specially well thought out day. Oh well.

Anyway, the following list manuscript is a pretty accurate description of what my day is usually like.

I will add a few caveats though.

It was a very kid centered day that day. I have several different types of days throughout the week and they seems to balance out the week very nicely. Some days are filled with housekeeping chores such as washing dishes, doing laundry, baking bread and mopping floors. Other days are get-out-of-the-house days where the kids and I go grocery shopping, run errands and occasionally check out a few stores for fun (hello Michaels!) and get an ice cream at Dairy Queen. Then there are days like Friday, we were home all day but I didn't do much around the house. I played with the kids a lot of the time and even ended up taking an unplanned nap.

Also, Reuben did not nap very well that day. Some days are worse than others. This was a bad day. He's a fine nighttime sleeper (once he's asleep) but is lacking in the naptime skills. We started working on that today. I really dislike sleep training but I know its necessary. For him and us. More on that later.

Now, someone who can nap very well? Besides me of course..ha ha...is Lily. Great little sleeper. I have no idea why she requested such an early nap though. She usually goes down right after lunch, between 12 and 12:30. So that threw our day off a bit too.

I was only planning on showing this to Andrew if he was interested. I went back and forth about posting it on my blog, I even considered deleting it, but then I thought it might be fun to look back a while from now and see just what a day in the life of 31 year old me with two kids looked like. I warn you though. Not only is it long winded and a bit dry at times but I say poo poo and pee pee way too many times and discuss bodily functions a bit much, but hey! I'm in potty training mode so that's where the brain is at the moment.

If you quickly get bored, I understand, my life's not that exciting.

......

7:40 – Lily wakes up and therefore its time to start the day (she normally gets up around 7, sometimes earlier, so this is a nice treat). I set her up on the couch with Curious George playing on Netflix and a small bowl of Goldfish snack crackers (her request) and lay down on the couch with her for a few minutes.

7:58 – She gets up to go to the bathroom on the big potty and her foot falls in so I have to help fish her out. I hear baby noises coming from my room on my way back to the living room so I’m sure Reuben will be up soon.

8:02 – Go to the bathroom myself while Lily tries to unravel the toilet paper in an attempt to pull some off for me.

8:04 – Put the dog outside on his leash then get on the computer to check my email, Facebook, Blogger and the weather.

8:09 – Lily starts bugging me to nurse and I hear Reuben start crying from the bedroom. I go pick up Reuben and set him in his bouncy seat on Lily’s floor and I nurse her in the rocking chair. I keep him entertained by talking to him and making funny faces while I nurse her and then I switch and nurse him. Ah the joys of tandem nursing.

8:22 – Change Reuben's diaper and outfit while Lily threatens to throw things because I'm not paying attention to what she's saying at this exact moment.

8:26 – Set up Reuben in front of the TV so I can heat up some pancakes I made the previous day for Lily and I for breakfast. I know, I know...horrible mommy moment.

8:29 – Get a drink of water and throw on a pair of pants.

8:30 – Pick up clothes on bedroom floor and throw them in the dirty laundry. Tell Lily not to cut her brother with her (play) knife. Open the blinds in the living room to brighten up the place.

8:32 – Go back to checking Facebook, Blogger etc.

8:34 - Get interrupted again because Lily says she peed but really needs to go pee in her potty.

8:35 - Back to checking Facebook.

8:38 - Lily hurts her finger and wants (not needs) a bandaid.

8:39 - Check on pancakes, not done yet. Back to computer.

8:46 - Give up on computer time because Lily keeps bugging me to eat and go check on food again.

8:48 - We sit down to eat breakfast on the living room floor while watching Curious George. Eat and play with Reuben while Lily cuts her banana on my plate and then eats mine anyway.

8:57 - Hang up laundry I washed yesterday and forgot in the washer. While I'm doing that Reuben starts getting fussy but that may be because Lily is putting her tray table on his head so I have a talk with her about why that isn't such a good idea.

9:05 - Pick up Reuben and head into my room to play on my bed for a little while. Lily quickly comes in and we invent rough and tumble games. Here's to making "crazy horse" a national sensation!

9:08 - Take a second from bouncing around on the bed to write down something hilarious Lily said.

9:11 - Back to playing. This time Reuben gets a taste of (a watered down version of) crazy horse. He likes it.

9:34 - Turn off Curious George who has been playing to an empty living room for a while and head into Lily’s room to clean up. I set up Reuben in his seat in there and Lily helps me clean up. She picks up all of her toys while singing the clean up song. Reuben fusses most of the time. He’s almost ready for a nap.

9:46 - Try nursing Reuben down for a nap in my bed. Have to get up three times to help Lily who is attempting to brush her teeth in the bathroom.

10:02 - Finally give up and leave Reuben in my bed because he isn't going to sleep. Maybe he’ll go to sleep on his own. But I seriously doubt it. I can hear him fussing as soon as I leave the room.

10:03 - Lily and I feed the fish.

10:04 - Go use the bathroom but first I let Lily out on the front porch to play.

10:07 - Sweep up a pile of dirt Lily brought into the house from the broom she brought inside to “sweep kitchen floor for Mommy.”

10:08 - Go back to nursing Reuben who is screaming from the bedroom. Lily cries about an itsy spider and an ant the whole time and begs for me to come look at it.

10:19 - With Reuben finally asleep I go look at Lily’s bugs. I decide to clean up a bit of the front porch while I'm out there and maybe list a few things to sell online.

Photobucket

10:40 - List a few things for sale online.

10:51 - Head into the kitchen to wash dishes and get sidetracked by Lily who is crying because she somehow put a kitchen chair leg on top of her foot and wants to cuddle in the rocking chair. While cuddling her Reuben wakes up and starts crying. I put her in her crib at her request to take a nap and then go nurse Reuben back to sleep. While nursing him, Lily starts crying about wanting her "bee shorts" (her pajama bottoms) on. When I put them on her she wants to go pee pee on her potty so I let her out and she goes on her potty. I put her back in her crib. Reuben starts crying again. I go back to nurse him and fall asleep.

12:16 - Wake up and lay still in bed (with Reuben still attached to me if you know what I mean) not wanting to wake the little guy up before he's ready.

1:07 - He pulls off and just lays there fast asleep.

1:20 - Reuben wakes up as I hear Lily calling for me from her crib. Her foot was stuck in the rails of her crib. I nurse her for a few minutes in the rocking chair.

1:32 - She settles herself on the couch with Goldfish and I turn on Curious George for a few minutes while I get Reuben, change him, put him on his play mat and go outside to untangle the dog.

1:42 - Start making lunch.

1:52 - Lunch time while Mommy gets on the computer for a bit.

Photobucket

2:15 - Start washing dishes with Reuben in his bouncy seat watching and talking to me.

2:24 - Interrupted by Lily, she needs help wiping up and dumping her potty after she goes poo poo not once, not twice, but three times. I give her a fist bump for a job well done.

2:30 - Take out the trash.

2:32 - We all go play with toys in Lily's room.

3:12 - Put Reuben in his swing so he can go to sleep. He plays with his hands and stares at the animals swirling around his head instead.

Photobucket

3:15 - Sit down on the couch with my cell phone for a few minutes to check messages and missed calls.

3:20 - Reuben falls asleep so Lily and I go outside to play. She strips down to her undies and climbs into her kiddie pool.

Photobucket

3:45 - Go inside to wash some more dishes. I watch Lily play through the window.

3:57 - Reuben wakes up and I let him fuss for a bit since he didn't sleep that long and maybe he'll go back to sleep.

4:03 - Never mind. He's not going back to sleep. I pick Reuben up and bring him outside with me so I can watch Lily play.

4:20 - Put him back in his swing because he’s tired. Wash some more dishes (I am starting to realize that the more I wash dishes the less I hate them. I don’t like them...I just hate them...less.)

4:25 - Pretty soon I have two kids screeching cause he did NOT want to be in the swing and Lily bonked her chin on his swing and is now asking for nursies. I gave her a snack of pineapple chunks and nurse Reuben in my bed hoping he will fall asleep. We get interrupted twice – the dog starts barking to come in and Lily escapes through the front door because it wasn't shut all the way.

4:42 - Reuben wants to play, not nurse so I set him in his seat in the kitchen to watch me wash dishes except Lily wants to nurse because she says she’s "very tired" so I bring Reuben with me into the living room and I play with him as I nurse her on the couch.

4:50 - Put Reuben in his bouncy seat again so I can finish the dishes.

4:53 - Give up on that because he is fussing too much and go online to look up a pancake recipe for dinner while Lily plays in her sandbox on the front porch.

5:07 - Clean up a spill on the kitchen floor and start on dinner. Reuben sits in his seat alternating screaming and laughing at me.

5:13 - Realize I don't have all the ingredients I need for that specific recipe so I look up another one.

5:18 - Start cooking dinner. Reuben screams in his bouncy seat THE ENTIRE TIME.

6:03 - Dinner time...for Lily anyway. Reuben's "asking" for his dinner too so I nurse and cuddle with him on the couch to settle him down.

Photobucket

6:23 - He starts falling asleep in my arms and so I lay him down on my bed where he proceeds to wake right up and start crying and/or screaming. I would try to nurse him back to sleep but Lily is calling out for more pancakes.

6:27 - Throw a load of laundry in the washer and put on Netflix for Lily. Its starting to sound like all she does is watch TV but she really only sits there and watches one maybe two short episodes.

6:36 - Give up on Reuben going to sleep and get him out of bed. I finish nursing him on the couch while watching Dinosaur Train with Lily.

6:43 - Finally sit down to some dinner myself.

7:00 - Daddy’s home!

0 comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...