Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Wednesday, August 08, 2012

All My Bags Are Packed, I'm Ready To Go...

Photobucket
Source

Its official. The kids and I are going to Maine to see my family!

The other day it hit me. A lot of my stay-at-home-mom friends take their kids and jet off to other states to visit family while the hubby stays behind because he either has school or work commitments. Well why couldn't I do that? It was disappointing that we weren't able to make it to Maine last summer like we'd planned because of Andrew's unexpected kidney stone and it wasn't looking like we'd be able to do it this year either since Andrew's new job doesn't offer benefits such as vacation days since he's only under contract through December. Its been years since I've been able to enjoy a Maine summer...since 2005 I believe...and I was racking my brain trying to figure out a way to make it work. I absolutely hate leaving Andrew at home but it will be good to get away for a while, just me and the kids.

I haven't seen my dad and several of my siblings in 2 years and 8 months or since Andrew and I were up there for Thanksgiving of '09 (Lily was a tiny plum sized fetus at the time). My dad, brother Quinn and sisters Rachel, Clara and Louisa or numbers 7, 3, 5 and 9 respectively have never met Lily and everyone up there has yet to meet Reuben. This is going to be the big introduce-them-to-the-family trip.

Andrew suggested I stay up there for a month (I think he's looking forward to some quiet time to himself) but honestly I don't know if I could handle staying with my family for an entire month. Its been a long time since I've lived at home...eleven and half years actually. But on the other hand, two weeks or so always seems so short and I never want to leave when its time. So I solved that dilemma by buying a one-way ticket this time. Well, two one-way tickets actually since Lily is two now and has to sit in her own seat on the plane. If no one ends up getting maimed or killed by a month, then great! If I'm missing Andrew too much after a couple of weeks (ha ha! Like that's going to happen. This is Maine we're talking about here people!) then I'll come back home then. This allows me time to really enjoy visiting with my family without having to worry about leaving too soon.

There's only one thing that I'm nervous about and that's going through security with two little ones all by myself. Entertaining the kids while in air? Breastfeeding on the flight? Changing planes in Chicago? Piece of cake. Its the taking off of shoes, putting everything through the scanner, going through the metal detector, all the while making sure we have everything we brought with us as we continue on to the plane that makes me shake in my boots. I'll be praying for strength on that one...and an extra pair of hands.

So, in about two and a half weeks we'll be enjoying the green hills, cool lakes and quaint towns of the Pine Tree State. I can't wait to introduce my children to the place I used to call home.

Any experienced flyers have tips for traveling with children?

0 comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...