Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Love is in the Cards

We don't go overboard on Valentine's Day. No roses, chocolates or diamond necklaces here. Its a family affair. We all go out for dinner or I'll cook something nice at home. We exchange cards and watch a movie. This year we decided to avoid the rush and go out, just Andrew and I, Thursday night the 16th. We seldom get to go out sans little one so I jumped at the chance when Andrew suggested it. He even picked the restaurant. Andrew making plans?! I think I may die from shock! I was all set to go to Chili's as a family like we did last year and save a little bit of money by using a gift card we have. This is better. :)

Seeing as our budget is a little tight, I decided to make Andrew a card this year. I've been dying to try my hand at these DIY cards I saw in the February issue of Martha Stewart Living:

Photobucket
Source

So when Lily went down for her afternoon nap, I set up my scrap-booking supplies in the living room and got to work.

I decided I wanted to make the LOVE accordion card. I first printed out the template for the word love via the link available on the website. I printed it out on plain white paper, cut it out and traced it onto the red paper I chose with pencil. I should have printed it directly onto the red paper but I didn't think of it. The directions weren't exactly clear, or all inclusive for that matter, so I was kind of figuring it out as I went along. After carefully cutting and folding it, this is what I had.

Photobucket

Next, I cut out the decorative paper for the inner part of the card by centering the word love on it and eyeballing where to cut it. I kept glancing at the picture in the magazine to get an idea of how much space I'd need and therefore where to cut it.

Photobucket

I cut it a bit bigger than I needed just in case.

Photobucket

Then came the hard part. Actually attaching the word to the inside of the card. All the directions said was to "position the folded piece inside base card so it pops." Easier said than done. It took me half an hour to realize that the best way to go about it was to fold the letters together then slip it inside the folded card so it was centered and press the two sides of the card together. Not too far apart so that when you open it it doesn't "pop" but not to close together that it just...hangs there. I used photo stickers on each corner to stick it down. They keep my photos securely in their scrapbook albums so I figured it would work in this case.

I wish I'd taken a photo of me "securing" it but as I said, it took me forever to figure it out so taking a picture completely escaped my mind.

Photobucket

After all that hassle it ended up looking just perfect.

Photobucket

I wrote the "I" and "you" using a red Sharpie.

Photobucket

I practiced first. Ha ha.

Photobucket

I punched the edges with my decorative punch since my paper cutter isn't very good at actually cutting paper cleanly and leaves a rough edge. Plus it just looks purty.

Photobucket

Then it was time to adhere the card to the outer layer to make it look more finished. I stuck down the corners onto the final blue card stock with some more photo stickers and glued the middle. I wanted a nice, clean looking edge so I cut the final card by hand with scissors.

Photobucket

And here's the final project. Its not a great picture since Lily woke up then and I had to quickly start cleaning everything before she got into things. And yes, that is a bottle of lime juice in her hand. She discovered it when I opened the fridge and asked to "have it, yemon." She loves lemons and limes. I blame Andrew. He got her started on them one time at Olive Garden.

Photobucket

I like the simplicity of the card and I don't plan on adding anything to it. Well except for the date in the corner, 'cause that's what we do. Its nice to look and remember when and where you gave the card.

I hope he appreciates it when I give it to him on Thursday...at the restaurant of his choosing. :)

0 comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...